06 June 2013

What a Place to Be with the Lord


 My meeting this week with my supervisor, Phil, served as a major balm to some of my summer’s agitation.  Just having a supervisor now feels a relief in itself; being able to talk to an “undercover missionary” working as an educator in a prison a mere few blocks from my own context actually has blown a bit of wind into my doldrummed sails. 
 As I was pondering the vague position in which I have been left for now at Homeboy, rife with feeling “clueless” and “out of place” and wondering what to do, Phil spoke a word that forcefully reframed my view.
“What a place to be with the Lord, right?”
 What a place indeed.  He made me remember, as I had not in the past few weeks, times I had been here before—deciding on colleges after high school, failing out of A&M, being led back into school there, then on into seminary without any expectation of what I would receive or what I would do when it was over.
 Really, he reminded me that this feeling I have been having in Los Angeles is in microcosm what I have been feeling for a couple of years now.  And I find this a hopeful place.  Why?  Because continually God has provided life, community, challenge and opportunity in these years of vocational and educational and geographical wandering.
 So I wander on.  I do not have to be completely put together (the embracing of which will actually make me more like those whom I am befriending and serving at Homeboy).  I feel liberated to “not have to know everything,” to “ask the dumb questions,” as Phil also guided me.
 Correspondingly, what today began as an overcast morning has become a warm, breezy, California summer day.

No comments:

Post a Comment