28 October 2010

Become All Things

"I have become all things to all people, that by all means I might save some.  I do it all for the sake of the Gospel, that I may share with them in its blessings."  1 Corinthians 9:22-23

The idea?  Adjust.  Adapt.  Be sensitive to the world around you, see what needs to be done, and do it, all because of the hope found in the Gospel.

Mondays are the days I am supposed to counsel.  The good news is that life is unpredictable.  That's what makes it an adventure.

So on Monday, when I signed in at Hope, I filled in as receptionist again without any prompting from the coordinator or any explanation as to why the usual receptionist was not there.  And it was a hurricane of activity, let me tell you!

It was perfect, though, because there were no guys who came in for counsel on Monday afternoon.  So I found purpose, however unexpectedly, by being flexible and just jumping into a place that I saw a need.

It was more perfect in that it gave me more practice as a receptionist before I trained another new volunteer on receptionist duties (our coordinator was swamped, so I just took that duty myself).  Let's hope I didn't forget anything really important...

Additionally, the evening receptionist got to shadow a counseling session because I was filling her spot.

Wednesday proved much more subdued at receptionist.  I actually had time to think, and I reflected on how little opportunity I have had to counsel.

Simultaneously, I had been seeing just how essential the receptionist is to the workings at Hope Pregnancy Center by preparing all necessary paperwork for tests, counselors, and making the clients feel welcomed and in good hands.

So I am certainly finding contentment in a type of work that is much different from what I had hoped to be doing primarily, as well as grasping the transcendent importance of being flexible in whatever work in which I get to be involved.

Because when I "aspire to live quietly, and to mind [my] own affairs, and to work with [my] hands," then I will "walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one" (1 Thessalonians 4:11).

So that anyone who would then look at my life would praise the Lord God.

And that is the essential part of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment